Monday 25 October 2010

Who Will Pay for My Iron Lung?

As an American with a healthy locus of control when it comes to my health and my finances, I find it difficult to assume that anyone in my ripe old age will take care of me when I get thoroughly sick.  Sure, there are health care plans.  Psha.  Those won’t pay for me to go jogging or ensure that I get a steady diet of nutritious organic food.  They will likely skim my money to pay for someone else’s bi-pass surgery or diabetes medication.  But, that’s all in the numbers. 

What I worry about, though, is that I have become accustomed to the American Clean Air Act.   I don’t know all of the particulars, but I do remember the definite change when I could go out to dinner with my friends, or go to a bar and have a beer and I wouldn’t have to come home and wash the cigarette stink out of my hair.  No more smoking in public places, no more problems with finding smoke-free apartments.  It was wonderful!  Then, I moved to Spain.  France, the most notorious smokers on the planet passed their Clean Air Act in 2008.  Ireland, too.  Thank goodness the European Union saw the validity.  But, Spain?  Not Spain.  They have been pushing the ban on smoking back every six months for years.  It was supposed to pass in June and now supposedly in January.  I cannot even find a decent place for a cafĂ© con leche without inhaling smoke.  It’s pervasive.  When I move seats, they give me a dirty look.  Urgh.  So my question is, when I get black lung, it won’t be due to American smokers, it won’t be the fault of the EU and Spain will be bankrupt.  Who will pay for my iron lung?

1 comment: