Monday 23 April 2012

Bullfighting follow-up...

not only are the Spaniards greatly divided about the 'sport' of bullfighting, they respond to its existence with cultish voracity.  I have since found out that the horse's armor is a modern addition and that before the 20's or so, several horses were killed in each event, that noone really knows if the origins are Roman or Greek and that fighting lions or each other like the Gladiators would be more sporting.  And, there's a shitload of money involved.  A regular matador fetches 10,000 euros.  A magnificent one, 200,000.

So, of the two sides, one vehemently argues that bullfighting is a cultural tradition, that it is a dance and that this particular breed of bull is preserved if only for its participation in the bullfighting sport.  Besides, it is eaten.  The other side finds the outfits and the manner of sweeping a cape a bit ridiculous and the cruelty of continually stabbing your food before the kill to be unsupportable.  I wish I could have filmed this debate in class.  She, a conservative Andaluz often rolls her eyes and tuts in class and is the one who said that 'Franco did what had to be done' (starting the Civil War).  He is a tall effeminate Spaniard with gloriously expressive hand gestures.  She was leaning back rather relaxed in her seat, feet crossed, hand on her cheek.  He was erectly leaning forward with fire spitting out of his eyes.  

So I asked him, if you don't agree with it, how was the chicken killed that you ate last night?  Well, if you want to say that I have to kill my food in this manner, than I would put on the stupid outfit and I would coax the the chickens with an abanico instead of a cape.  Oh, the vision!  I think I am going to paint that.  And put it in the museum next to Velasquez's buffons.

No comments:

Post a Comment