Sunday 11 December 2011

The Importance of Laughter...


which brings me to the question my friend Diana asked me about what I was thankful for at T-Day.  I'd thought of something entirely sage, like laughter, but since it wasn't spontaneous, I figure it didn't count in my original response...

But, in reality, that is what I am thankful for.  People are so damn serious.  If you take a nation of people and tell them that they cannot have alcohol (even wine dammit) and that they have to live in constant filth and basically beg for money from any stray foreigner that wanders your streets looking for "that perfect picture", then you, too, would lack a serious freaking sense of humor.  

For a large portion of our stay in Morocco - I was missing entirely that.  Humor isn't translatable in a third language and I am just a rich tourist that refuses to buy your stink-cured leather products or buy you a bowl of couscous for taking us up and down the Medina.  Until you meet a Canadian named Geordan.  

A gorgeous blonde backpacker that we, okay I, descended upon in the Jewish Medina to help fend off not one, but two of our failing local guides for the morning.  Geordan speaks French, had been backpacking through Morocco for a few weeks and had picked up some Arabic and was totally comfortable interacting with the locals.  What a pleasure.  

Whereas my American friend thought it better to ignore or bark at the locals and I was trying to politely disengage from them, Geordan bought oranges to share with the kids and smiled at everyone.  Granted, being a boy is better than being a girl.  But man, he made Fes so much more palatable.  He was not a complaining Aussie, he was not an uneducated American, he was sweet and unassuming.  That night, when we went out 'after hours' (9 pm) to get a sandwich, he was freely joking with the locals about what condiments to use.  They do laugh.  Its at night.  When the tourists are in bed.  It was refreshing.  A day without laughter....  just sucks ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment